Pages

Me On The Movie's 3rd Anniversary

Me On The Movie's 3rd Anniversary

Happy 3rd anniversary, Me On The Movie! For a child, year three is the last year before he enters kindergarten or such, but for a blog, year three is the year every blogger's consistency is tested. I won't fill this incredible year with another ramble of how my (useless) daily activity has got me away from watching and writing about movies (because you already had that in the 2nd anniversary), I haven't even blogged for like three months (!), so to make today worth for an anniversary celebration, I make a list of my favorite movies of all time—establishing a clear stand that Me On The Movie is still exist, even though so rarely updated.

How do you describe 'favorite'? How would you tell which, among certain things, are your favorite ones? To me, my favorite things are those I don't find boring if visited again and again. For movies, my favorite movies are the ones that have something interesting (despite their overall qualities) that always invite me to see it again and again.

Actually you can see all these favorite movies in my Letterboxd page or even in this blog itself, but there are too many of them so I'll simply list the big 10 among other favorite movies. Mind you, they are mostly coming from the 2000s.

In alphabetical order

2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey
(1968)
directed by: Stanley Kubrick

This is a grand accomplishment in the cinema industry. More than just a scifi, 2001: A Space Odyssey is a provocative mind-bender that beautifully emerges advancing technology with the lifelong existence search of human. I think no scifi films have been at the same level of awesomeness with 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

A Serious Man

A Serious Man
(2009)
directed by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

My kinds of movies are those who show that life is not a fairy tale where everything ends so happily. Life is simply not a doing-good-then-winning kind of thing, and A Serious Man knows it very well that at most times, good people fail. For some people, happiness ends in a blink of an eye but sorrow circles in a goddamn loop.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
(2006)
directed by Larry Charles

In all seriousness, no comedies have been at the utmost level of ridiculousness like Borat. This film redefines our sense of humor back to its basic aspects, that silliness and spontaneity are funny. It's nothing about Kazakhstan; it's about how a character is made with no urging intention to be funny—and, somehow, becomes so funny.

The Devil Wears Prada

The Devil Wears Prada
(2006)
directed by David Frankel

I can no longer call myself a fresh-grad who just enters the career world, but every time I watch The Devil Wears Prada, I always think that I am. My bosses are not (and hopefully, will never be) like Miranda Priesley. This is a matter of how you, who had no idea of why you begin the kind of job you choose, unconsciously become obsessed to be the best in it.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
(2005)
directed by Scott Derrickson

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is so criminally underrated. I think this is one important 'horror' film that uses a different take to tell a story about these scary, otherworldly things called devil or ghosts. How to prove that someone is possessed by devil? I never liked to call this film a horror; if I may, I prefer to call it a spiritual film.

Her

Her
(2013)
directed by Spike Jonze

Since Lost in Translation, no movies have captured loneliness so beautifully like Her. We used to think that the future will be so robot-filled. Or the opposite: resources will be scarce and the poor is separated from the rich. I think no one has imagined that in the future, everything is voice-based. Before Her, no one wonders how making love may so dramatically change in the future.

Mary and Max

Mary and Max
(2009)
directed by Adam Elliott

When was the last time you write letters? Mary and Max is a story of how two 'abandoned' people, that don't fit in their surroundings, create a beautiful friendship through letters, no matter how far away they are separated. I think you cannot just end this film with no tears rolling down your cheek.

Punch-Drunk Love

Punch-Drunk Love
(2002)
directed by Paul Thomas Anderson

Sweet, sweet love story that should have been the bible for all filmmakers around the world. Punch-Drunk Love reminds us that love actually comes with no complexity or motives; it comes simply when a pair of eyes of a man meet a pair of eyes of a woman. Nothing complicated in love, and that's how you should tell a story of love.

The Social Network

The Social Network
(2010)
directed by David Fincher

I write soooo many times about The Social Network. I listed it in many best- or favorite-movie list in every media I know. When I recalled why I love this movie so much, I had no distinct reason. The power of good script and directing, yeah that's a very technical reason, but see how many new things I can dig every time I come to see this movie again and again.

WALL-E

WALL-E
(2008)
directed by Andrew Stanton

Pixar has, so far, never failed to show us that animation is never intended for kids only. With barely a few dialogues, WALL-E shows boldness of character and story that brings fun for kids and thoughts for adults. Especially when you suddenly hear 2001: A Space Odyssey music theme chiming near the end, phew, this is one good motion picture that knows how to give tribute to its predecessor.


Have a great 3rd anniversary, Me On The Movie! Make a prayer that I won't leave you too long like I used to.


Akbar Saputra

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

4 comments:

  1. Halo Akbar, udah lama banget ga ngeblog. Selalu ditunggu loh review-review selanjutnya, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tech website technology provides some really fun activities for techie kids and Dads to do together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playstar Chalengge dari Zeusbola


    Total Hadiah Berupa 240 juta loh guyss

    Buruan Daftar dan Dapatkan Hadiah dari Zeusbola

    Online 24 jam
    Fast respon!



    INFO SELANJUTNYA SEGERA HUBUNGI KAMI DI :
    WHATSAPP :+62 822-7710-4607
    TELEGRAM :@zeusbola
    FACEBOOK :zeusbolame
    INSTAGRAM :@zeusbola.official
    TWITTER :@zeusbola


    ReplyDelete