No, it's not about Me On The Movie's anniversary (we're celebrating birthday on May!). It's a recap of all the 2012 films I have watched. Too late? Maybe. But, whatever. I just feel like I want to make it :) If you track my previous film reviews you may find that I don't watch too many films released in 2012. Yeah, I admit that. In my record, I only watched 26 films of 2012 while there are tons of them out in cinemas and
download links DVDs. And that's why I post this recap today. I have at least three additional weeks to watch some films in my watch-list.
Flashbacks and Corrections
Do you remember my "2012-Movies-to-Watch-Next" lists? Yeah, my goal was fulfilling it to the maximum number of films I could see. There are 14 films listed as the films I want to see in the last quarter of 2012, and only 5 of them are done watched by me (duh!). The other 7 films were still untouched, while 2 films ("To The Wonder" and "Gangster Squad") are considered as films released in 2013.
Many notes I made for all the 2012 films I have watched:
- No new 5-star-ed films of 2012. The highest rating given is 4.5 for "Life of Pi".
- The least rating given is 2-star. You wanna know what films got that least rating? It's "5cm." and "21 Jump Street".
- While I'm currently talking about star rating, I am referring to the rating I made in the "Review Index" page (see horizontal menu above). I didn't refer to the rating I made at the bottom part of the review (you should read the bottom part of "Review Index" page to understand this). Sorry for the confusions.
- At first I won't insert those not-yet-reviewed films to this list, but I finally put them together. I guess the point of this recap is not only for the films I have reviewed but also the films that I haven't yet reviewed. But, of course, I rate them from 0 to 5 star (but I don't put them in the "Review Index" page). Those not-yet-reviewed films are: "21 Jump Street" (2/5); "Battleship" (2.5/5); "The Hunger Games" (3/5); "The Raid" (3.5/5).
- Mostly, I watched alone (dududu~), but for these films, I (luckily) had a company to watch: "5cm." (with my very best friends in college, as we thought the film would be best seen with best friends); "Battleship" (with my classmates whom I've already missed by now :')); "Habibie & Ainun" (with my mom); "Looper" (with my friend); "Skyfall" (with my Bekasi friends); "The Avengers" (again, with my classmates); "The Dark Knight Rises" (again, with my closest classmates).
- Some of the (considered as) good films that I skipped watching on cinemas: "Wreck-It Ralph", "Prometheus", "End of Watch", "Rust & Bones" (and all the European films screened on "Europe On Screen" event in Jakarta), and "The Amazing Spider-Man" (duh!).
Maybe it seems that I don't pass the "unwritten prerequisites" to make such a Best-of-The-Year list like this but, I push myself (too far) that I finally agree to list only 5 best films of 2012 (*please laugh*). We'll start from 5 honorable mentions.
(in alphabetical order)
HABIBIE & AINUN Indonesia | Dir: Faozan Rizal | 3.5/5Reza Rahardian has lost his soul and turned into our ex-president, B.J. Habibie. He is truly one of the best Indonesian young actors. He and Bunga Citra Lestari elevate "Habibie & Ainun" as not only Indonesia's No.1 Box Office, but also a remarkable romantic film in history.
TED USA | Dir: Seth MacFarlane | 3.5/5Who could expect that this year's most hilarious comedy act comes from a fluffy teddy bear? Seth MacFarlane's "Ted" was more than just inappropriate, ridiculous, and comical; it turns into a film you have to spend together with your buddy.
THE AVENGERS USA | Dir: Joss Whedon | 3.5/5I rarely enjoy superhero films but "The Avengers" is the one that everyone just can't miss. If you're a Marvel fanboy, you'll got a climax watching this film, but although I'm not (considered as) a fanboy, I did enjoy "The Avengers" as if I'm a superhero fanboy.
THE CABIN IN THE WOODS USA | Dir: Drew Goddard | 3.5/5"The Cabin in the Woods" didn't terrify me. I didn't even have a nightmare on the night I watched this film. It's just where you push the boundaries of any other typical horror films so you have a larger area to gather all the creepy creatures you could imagine and play with them.
THE RAID Indonesia | Dir: Gareth Evans | 3.5/5"The Raid" will keep you back on your seat, hold your breath, and spend your one-and-a-half hours in a brutal action. Breath-taking. Knowing that it comes from my own country is what makes it more delightful.
now, get ready for... *drum rolls*
BEST FILMS OF 2012
(in descending order of ratings)
ARGO USA | Dir: Ben Affleck | 4/5Breath-taking opening, detailed capture of history, nice directing, interesting premise, and a closing that pumps your adrenaline. "Argo" has them all. Forget the Oscar snub: Ben Affleck, you got my accolades.
MOONRISE KINGDOM USA | Dir: Wes Anderson | 4/5
"Moonrise Kingdom" is an eccentricity wrapped in a puppy love of two runaway young lovers. With all the camera work, supporting music, and the cast, ah... could it be any sweeter?
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES USA | Dir: Christopher Nolan | 4/5I still hang the poster in my room, and have no intention to replace it. You may think that "The Dark Knight Rises" is overrated, but for me, it's a perfect closing for the best superhero trilogy of the decade.
THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER USA | Dir: Stephen Chbosky | 4/5It's mesmerizing to be surprised by this seemingly uninteresting film. "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" is young and lovely. This is the right film you have to enjoy with all your best friends. "We are infinite!"
LIFE OF PI USA | Dir: Ang Lee | 4.5/5"Life of Pi" is when a dramatic life journey described in such a beautiful art. It is moving, inspiring, and heart-warming. A tremendous film that makes you think and be grateful for the life you have. Thank you, Pi. Thank you, Richard Parker.
Voila. That's a recap of the films released on 2012. Many corrections and inputs for me, eh? Yeah, the thing is that I need to get back on my track: watching films like crazy (in 2011, I did watch like 200 films :D). I hope things just get better and smoother for 2013. Wanna check on my 2013 watchlist? I'm gonna post it soon.
P.S.: Talking about 2013, Me On The Movie is gonna celebrate the 1st anniversary on May 16 2013. Wait for the surprises! :D