Pages

2013 Watchlist

2013 Watchlist

Done reading my 2012 recap? Great. Now it's time to have a sneak-peek of what movies I am most looking forward to seeing this year. Of course, when I am saying "this year" it does not always come with a real release date of this year. There are perhaps some films that have to be postponed to the next year due to uncertain reasons. And hoping it will be screened here, in the local cinemas, right on the worldwide release date is truly a doubtful thing :) but at least I just want to share my curiosity of some of the films planned to be released this year.

First of all, I want you to see this.

2013 Films

It is from 9GAG and it is a real help for us, cinema-goers! You may notice "Les Mis" (stands for "Les Miserables") and I haven't watched it until now so I will take it as a 2013 release. Some of the films listed above which I may pay attention and have interest to watch are "G.I. Joe: Retaliation", "Scary Movie 5", "Iron Man 3", "The Fast and the Furious 6", "Star Trek Into Darkness", "Despicable Me 2", and "The Wolverine". Seems there are a bunch of box-office films in that list, huh? Well, you know that I'm not highly interested in that kinds of movies, but beside all that, here are my picks of ten most anticipate films of 2013 (in alphabetical order):



Man of Steel
MAN OF STEEL
(Dir: Zack Snyder)
It feels more than just another superhero movie. Christopher Nolan as the story creator and the producer? Seems promising. I think "Man of Steel" is not just a resurrection of Superman. It feels more to be this year's "The Dark Knight". Henry Cavill is the new Clark Kent, and there are Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon, and Kevin Costner as supporting actors. Seems very promising. (trailer | IMDb)
 
Oldboy
OLDBOY
 (Dir: Spike Lee)
Oh, yes, I mentioned Park Chan-wook's "Oldboy" as one of my most favorite films of all time. It just blew my mind. Now that I have known the entire plot of it (including the surprising ending scene), I don't expect that this remake will as mind-blowing as its predecessor. I just want to see if the Hollywood remake will be as depressing as the original film. (no trailer yet | IMDb)

S-VHS
S-VHS
(Dir: Simon Barrett, Jason Eisener, Gregg Hale, Eduardo Sánchez, Adam Wingard)
I haven't watched its prequel, "V/H/S", but "S-VHS", now screening on Sundance, receives mixed reviews. Actually I'm just curious with "Safe Haven", one of the sub-stories of "S-VHS" written by Gareth Evans (the director of "The Raid") and Timo Tjahjanto (the director of "Rumah Dara" a.k.a "Macabre"). "Safe Haven" receives mostly positive reviews and I am very interested to see it. (trailer | IMDb)

Side Effects
SIDE EFFECTS 
(Dir: Steven Soderbergh)
"Side Effects" could be just another unpromising thriller/drama, but do you know what really attracts me to watch it? It's Rooney Mara. Haha. Well, she really got a great buzz for his latest performance in "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo" and it is just nice to see her back. I don't expect much from Soderbergh (I have not watched much of his movies), but his latest work, "Magic Mike", shows that he likes experimenting in any kinds of stories. (trailer | IMDb)

Stoker
STOKER
(Dir: Park Chan-wook)
Whilst Park Chan-wook's outstanding previous work, "Oldboy", has been taken for a Hollywood remake, Park himself is working on his very first Hollywood project. It's "Stoker", a horror-mystery about a troubled family, starring Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, and Matthew Goode. The trailer seems promising, but I don't expect too much from it. (trailer | IMDb)

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
(Dir: Peter Jackson)
The first film, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", was not that amusing, but I think the second film will contain a more exciting story. Some will predict that the whole points of the novel will be mostly told in this second film, so I hope "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" will be more than just a beat-around-the-bush compared to what Peter Jackson did in the first film. (no trailer yet | IMDb)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE
(Dir: Francis Lawrence)
Gary Ross, who handled the first film of "The Hunger Games", declined to continue working on this second film. Francis Lawrence replaced his place, not only for "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" but also for "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" which is gonna be split into two parts. "The Hunger Games" was a bit amusing for me and with a whole different crew handling the next project (a different screenwriter team, too), I am very interested with how "Catching Fire" will gonna be. (no trailer yet | IMDb)

The World's End
THE WORLD'S END
(Dir: Edgar Wright)
They are teaming up again! Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright will be back in this apocalyptic/comedy film. "Shaun of the Dead" is truly awesome, "Hot Fuzz" is surprisingly mesmerizing, and I hope "The World's End", the last film of something they call as "The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy" a.k.a. "The Blood and The Ice Cream Trilogy", will be spectacular. (no trailer yet | IMDb)

To The Wonder
TO THE WONDER
(Dir: Terrence Malick)
"The Tree of Life" is the only film of Terrence Malick that I have watched, and it's truly a beautiful, one-of-a-kind cinematic experience. IMDb listed three new films of Malick around 2013-2014, but "To The Wonder" is the only that most likely release this year after having its premiere on last year's Venice Film Festival. Watch the trailer, and you'll understand its beauty. (trailer | IMDb)

What They Don't Talk About When They Talk About Love
WHAT THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT LOVE
(Dir: Mouly Surya)
A long title, eh? Well, "What They Don't Talk About When They Talk About Love" is now competing in Sundance Film Festival for category "World Cinema - Dramatic". Originally titled as "Yang Tidak Dibicarakan Ketika Membicarakan Cinta", it is a big wow for Indonesian local film industry. I don't know if there have ever any of Indonesian filmmakers that could make an entrance to Sundance, so Mouly Surya absolutely deserves recognitions. (trailer | IMDb)


So, 10 films listed above are what I really wanted to see this year. I'm probably gonna post another watch-list in mid or last quarter of this year, when the buzz for the award season starts coming. What about other movies not listed here? Of course, I have an interest to see them, but these 10 films are what I am really wanted to see this year. :)

Akbar Saputra

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

8 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by Lee's OLDBOY remake but I don't know if I'm intrigued enough to see it. I missed LET ME IN, another remake of another fav of mine so if history is anything to go by...

    Pumped for STOKER!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, they say that Lee's "Oldboy" is gonna be darker and more depressing than Chan-wook's, but I really don't expect it will be as mind-blowing as the first film. Yeah, "Stoker" seems more interesting. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  2. hansel & gretel kok ga di cantumin gan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iya, maaf, saya sudah perbarui posting di atas (perhatikan paragraf terakhir) untuk lebih jelasnya :) Saya juga tertarik nonton "Hansel & Gretel", tetapi 10 film yang tercantum di atas adalah film pilihan yang pengen banget saya tonton.

      Delete
  3. I've just read Sundance review for Stoker on The Playlist,
    and hell! there are major, major, ridiculous spoilers like what happened to them between films,I am now avoiding all other reviews on that site...sh*t ^^

    still looking forward to Stoker as well as Snowpiercer-Bong Joon-ho's English-language debut ('Mother' director)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many Sundance films are actually gonna be in my watchlist, but I really doubt that it'll be screened in our local cinemas. "Upstream Color", "Fruitvale", many more.

      Delete
  4. Reaalllly can't wait for The World's End!! Masuk list yg saya tunggu2 jg nih, pengen liat lagi kegilaan Pegg-Frost-Wright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bangeeet!! tapi entah bakalan masuk bioskop Indonesia atau enggak.

      Delete